Saturday, December 17, 2011

Wamba: Mission

Our "clinic" was a local school. Each room had a specific purpose: Vitals, HIV and blood sugar testing, doctor stations for assessment, and the pharmacy

The Classroom


Apparently this is important curriculum...


                                                                                                                 This is their version of a book bag





Ok this isn't really a pipe. I'm wondering a pointer stick vs. something you poke students with.


Alfred MD rounding up the folks for what's to come.

These men prefer being all wrapped up!




The sun is shining with no rain clouds in site...you just know its gonna be HOT.



Considering our toilet situation, I'd rather be dehydrated and fluid resuscitate later.  There are flies going in and out of that hole...lizards...and at one point I swear something had wings! Oh, once I saw that I turned right back around and held my pee 'till I couldn't anymore. (yeah great going nurse...right??) haha. I forgot to mention, it stinks! Yes, at times like these I wish I were a boy. I'm sure I said that ten times during our trip- I'm the one who always has to pee! 


Beatrice giving me a demonstration. Yes...that's their toilet!

 We get off to a late start.  But for the first day, this place is no where as busy as in Muranga. Word here travels by mouth....as they pass each other by on their long journey to wherever they may go. We were anticipating more on the 2nd day because of that.
This lil man is charging his cell phone

Tony getting pumped and ready for the day! haha



                                                                     This is a man's chair/pillow! Can you imagine?!  








The people here are different in many ways. I'd say one out of 50, or more had hypertension. Barely anyone had a high blood sugar. I noticed that some of their blood pressures was difficult to hear; it would be so faint that at times I couldn't even get a diastolic pressure. Mental note, bring pediatric BP cuffs because the majority of these people are very slim! I would be happy to see an arm with some "meat" on it. Their native garb also made it difficult to take a blood pressure...they would have bracelets around their wrists and right around the elbow. 






Many women and children came to see us, especially on Day 2. Their baby would be wrapped around their body. Most of the time their breasts would be hanging out. When the baby started crying, right to the nipple they went! (no one has pacifiers). One thing I don't think I can get accustomed to are the flies! These people had flies on their body, all over their face...even in the corner of their eyes and they weren't even phased! It was disturbing to see the flies on the babies...but I was told that they come around especially if the woman is lactating. Since their breasts are exposed, it attracts the flies. 


I won't forget seeing a child with depressed fontanels, the baby threw up as Nadia was taking the mother's vital signs. 








Another thing WE take for granted is accurate documentation of our age. I had an older looking lady with wrinkles and gray hair coming out...she told the registrar she was 35yrs old! SERIOUSLY?! I double checked with the person registering...all he can say is "that's what she told me" and shrugged his shoulders. 


Jennifer and Christine mainly worked in the Pharmacy...when the line was long, we were all in there!






It doesn't matter what language you speak, he'll make you laugh!
I think Jeremy's calling in life is to be a comedian. 

             





Milli taking a quick break.

 Fred screening for HIV


Beautiful...









Lily, Nadia, Kristine and Jeremy

God only knows what this boy will do next! 

                      Jeremy...just hanging out

             Nadia, Fred, Toni, Jeremy, Milli and Nancy

              Nadia, Beatrice, me, Milli n Jerms 

No comments:

Post a Comment